Sunday, May 24, 2009

Weed Out The Hybrid Seeds...

I enjoy reading and learning about non-hybrid seeds. Ultimately, I wish to grow only heirlooms, or open-pollinated seeds in my garden. Because many seed companies have patents on their hybrid seed, it makes the consumer dependent upon repurchasing seeds year after year from the vendor.

I am teaching my daughter how to grow her own seed collection. We have a lovely garden suitcase and hope to fill it with interesting heirlooms from around the world.

If you order some of the free seed catalogs I have mentioned in previous articles, you can learn all about hybrid and heirloom seeds. Knowledge is worth it's weight in gold. Here are a few more useful websites with very good information about the importance of purchasing non-hybrid seeds.

In order for families to be completely self-sufficient in their gardens, seed saving should be introduced in the early stages of planting. Seed saving is nothing new. Afterall, our ancestors never had the luxury of shopping a local garden center to purchase a dozen different hybrid cord seeds. They treated Mother Earth with respect and saved seeds from her gracious gifts of bountiful harvests.


Use non-hybrid seeds and save big bucks in this year's garden
By Jackie Clay

The Importance of Non-Hybrid Seeds
http://www.non-hybrid-seeds.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening
    in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted to give you a quick heads up!
    Other then that, amazing blog!

    Also visit my website :: http://emergencyfoodstoragenow.net

    ReplyDelete